Last week I asked you to submit questions via Instagram, from makeup to self-care.
Take a seat, let’s chat.
Best Way to Cry Without Fucking Up Your Makeup? Thank You.
I can’t afford to cry because my lashes will come off! SIKE, my favorite glue is cheap and literal cement. In all seriousness though, I’ll usually try to breathe slowly if I feel like i’m going to cry. If you know you’re going to sob ahead of time, I recommend wearing water proof mascara and substituting liquid liner for brown eyeshadow. (I draw a cat eye with an angled brush and a brown shadow. It’s my lil’ hack when I don’t want a harsh cat eye that has the potential to smear). Other than that, a quick little tear-sesh isn’t too bad -big watery eyes and flushed cheeks. Issa look.
What Are Your Staple Makeup Products?!
I love makeup so much, so I’m just gonna dive into this:
- Makeup Forever HD Foundation
- Sonia Kashuk Jumbo Blending Sponge
- Nars Radiant Creamy Concealer
- Milani Stay Put Brow Color
- REVOLUTION Banana Powder
- MAC Lipliner Spice
- Milani Blush Luminoso
- Ardell Studio Effects Wispies
- MORPHE Setting Mist
Everything I’ve listed I buy repeatedly! I use them to death, and I haven’t found a better product in that category. I’m always on the hunt, though. If you have any recommendations, LEMME HEAR THEM.
Are You Single?
Yes LOL Im comfortable, too.
Who Is Your Fashion Role Model?
At the moment it’s Kourtney Kardashian! She embodies different elements of fashion that I adore. Her style is usually practical, but she’ll also wear really bold pieces that I drool over. She’s actually the reason I’ve been inspired to add more color to my wardrobe. Kourtney is just killing it right now.
Who Or What Inspires Your Style?
I mentioned Kourtney Kardashian in the question above, but I love that you’ve asked me what inspires my style. A quick answer is: everything around me. Feelings, music, art, destinations. It’s like putting on a mask. I yearn to express myself, always!
How Do You Manage To Stay Fit With A Busy 40 Hour Schedule?
A tough question for me and a lot of people, I’m sure! I try to hit the gym at least twice a week. I have anxiety at times so I wont always get down, which bums me out, but i’ll do a short circuit at home instead. When I do get down at the gym without a problem, I usually start out with resistance bands! They’re quick and effective. I’ll move on to leg press, and super-set with another machine. I always end my session with about 4 sets of 3 different ab workouts. Aside from lifting weights, I run twice a week when I’m too sore to go back to the gym! Meal prepping has also really saved me time, and it doesn’t really allow you to stray from eating healthy because the food will go bad. All in all, my tips for staying fit on a tight schedule:
- Try to workout at least twice a week, even if it’s at home. Everybody is different, do it at your own pace.
- Running is the best cardio -next to stairs. Kill two birds with one stone at a football field.
- Focus on target areas at the gym. Get in, get fit, get out.
- Meal prep is everything! It saves you time, and allows you to have steady eating habits during the week. Prep enough to take to work, eat after work, and eat after a workout.
Where Do You Get Your Eyebrows Done? They Frame Your Face So Well!
Thank you! I have naturally semi-full eyebrows. I try not to touch them, but if i have to I’ll pluck them myself. I also brush up the brow hairs and I trim them with some tiny scissors. Other than that I don’t do anything else except follow the natural shape of my brows when I fill them in with the Milani Brow Color.
Does Brand Matter?
I don’t think it does when it comes to buying your entire wardrobe. Some pieces that I believe you should splurge on: A great pair of denim jeans, denim shorts, a legit faux leather biker jacket, a go-to handbag, and a perfect pair of heels. I say this because they are the focal point of all outfits, whether you’re wearing a white tee, or a dress. Think about it. What do you always notice first in an outfit? Killer shoes, designer handbag, or those sick Levi’s you’ve always wanted. Buy responsibly ladies!
Rituals That You’ve Introduced To Your Daily Routine That Have Improved Your Life/ Beauty/ Skincare?
This is such an awesome question because it’s so personal. I do quite a few rituals so I’ll break them up into sections! The following are my current 2019 Rituals:
- I burn white sage in my room at least once every two weeks, or when I’m feeling like I’m stuck in a funk.
- I drink 1/2 a cup of pure D-Mannose every day. This is for all my ladies that struggle with UTIs. I’ve only gotten a UTI twice, but they’ve been the absolute worst and I think everybody should look into trying this.
- I have a cork board next to my door. I put up things I love, things I want, and personal affirmations on a cork board. It’s right next to the door in my room so I always have to glance at it on my way out, or on my way in.
- I’ve started taking a women’s multivitamin. Sometimes you need a little extra push.
- I watch anime. Listen to me for a second. I’ve always watched anime, but I can definitely say that there are some movies that have really pulled my heart strings. They’re beautiful and have made me sit back and think about the little things. I recommend them to everyone: Grave of The Fireflies, MIRAI, The Girl Who Lept Through Time, Into the Forest of Fireflies Light, Your Name, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Spirited Away.
- I pick out & buy real plants for my room. If you follow me on Instagram you know how much I love plants. They’re a great addition to any part of your home because they cleanse the air, and are said to be a source of positive energy. It is rewarding to purchase a plant, nurture it, and watch it grow. Shopping for plants is therapeutic in itself.
- I wear pink concealer. I’ve started wearing pink concealer when I go out because it is so brightening! (This applies to my tan-skinned girlz.) My favorite is the Maybelline Instant Age Rewind in Brightener.
- I apply a hydrating moisturizer as my base. I have very dry skin, so it’s a must regardless. I’ve started applying Ole Henriksen’s C-Rush Brightening Cream before foundation and it’s worked wonders for me. My makeup looks more natural, and blends even more smoothly with my sponge.
- I’ve stopped wearing Foundation during the week. This was actually inspired by one of my very good friends, Andrea. So far I’ve gone two weeks without it and my skin has improved dramatically. I do my usual everyday makeup minus foundation Monday through Thursday, and I do a full beat Friday and Saturday. Sundays I’m a lazy piece of shit, so I wont even wear makeup unless I’m going to brunch.
- . I have a monthly sheet mask subscription. I’ve been subscribed to Facetory for a while now, and it’s so convenient. You receive Korean sheet masks every month that are personalized according to your skin type and skin concerns. I’ve incorporated sheet masks into my routine after I began experimenting with Korean Skincare. I’ll wear a sheet mask about twice a week, and I’ll keep the leftover serum in the pouch so I can massage it onto my face another day.
- I use a jade roller. Part of my nighttime routine includes 3 of my go-to serums and oils from The Ordinary: Hyaluronic Acid 2% and B5 (For Hydration), Alpha Arbutin 2% (For Darkspots), and 100% cold-pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil (More Hydration). I put on my skincare, rotating between the Hyaluronic Acid and Alpha Arbutin, then I massage the product into my face with a Jade Roller moving from the center of my face outwards. I do the same after applying Rose Hip Seed Oil. Jade Rollers are said to decrease puffiness, and promote circulation.
- Thicc eye cream. For all the girls that bake their under eyes! We are more prone to crows feet and wrinkles. I don’t know about you, but I’m trying to look my best forever. At night I’ll slap on a generous amount of the Ole Henriksen Banana right Eye Cream.
- I wear sunscreen on my face. This is so important, and I don’t think many girls do this until later in their lifetime. You shouldn’t have to be sitting at a Dermatologists office because you have sunspots to finally realize you should wear sunscreen. All skin colors and skin types react differently to the suns rays, but we are all affected. I hate thick sunscreen that smells bad and leaves a white cast on my face. I buy the MISSHA Safe-Block Essence Sun Milk in two’s, swear on my life. It’s incredibly lightweight and it doubles as an essence, giving your face a nice flush of moisture. SPF 50, NON GREASY, AND NO WHITE CAST. That’s it. That’s the tweet.
- Raw Shea butter. Lastly, body. I am tan, so I need to moisturize my skin to the best of my ability because I get ashy FAST. Shea Butter was recommended to me by one of my bestfriends, Ale. Her boyfriend uses it and his skin literally glistens. Its VERY thick and takes some time to truly rub into the skin, but it makes you look amazing once its been absorbed. I do want to warn you that you should not lay down or cover yourself with a blanket because it can transfer since it has a semi-oily consistency.
How Do You Feel About Makeup For Men? Would You Say It’s Emasculating or Empowering?
The perception of makeup belonging solely to women is a construct. A perfect example of this is the popularity of makeup and beauty in Seoul, South Korea. Men wear makeup, and they look fucking great. It’s a different type of makeup application, really just focusing on enhancing focal features like lips, eyebrows, and good skin. I feel like people think men wearing makeup means a full blown beat with contour and lashes, when that’s not the case at all. Makeup is a tool, not a definition of who you are. All i have to say is that a man that takes care of himself is easily ten notches more attractive. There is nothing emasculating about allowing yourself to feel good.
What Summer Fashion Trends Should We Expect?
Now that we’re deeper into summer days, I’ve pinpointed the most popular summer trends on Instagram!
- French style Hair Ties
- Slouchy Trousers
- Woven Straw Bags
- Pretty Floral
- Little White Dress
Back on my bullshit. I have a deep love for my blog, but having the opportunity to write for a magazine is unreal. Pick up a copy of DVINO every month to keep up with my fashion antics. Enjoy my favorite shots from the May Issue, in which i asked you, the readers, if you had any style dilemmas i could help you with. Next issue i’ll be styling a wardrobe favorite — the LBD. Also, I’ve bought so many things online that I truly cannot wait to shoot. They can’t get here fast enough; i’m literally turning purple.
These incredible photos were shot by Roland Sanchez. A fucking sweetheart! Follow his work on instagram to get teasers of the covers he shoots for DVINO @Rolan_sanch. Thank you for being so cool, it’s always a pleasure shooting with you!
OLE HENRIKSEN C RUSH BRIGHTENING CREME & BRIGHT EYE CREME SET/ (here)
Hello! How is everyone? We are 4 months into 2019, and i’m thinking about how much I miss blogging. I’ve been caught up with a new job, but I want to create more content. Having this little creative space has always (and will always) keep me sane. Today I’m sharing a product I’ve been trying out because of….Youtube. One of my favorite Beauty gurus, Teni Panosian, uses this product and I love how hydrated her skin looks. It really helps makeup sit on the skin differently. So, I have horribly dry skin, it’s repulsive. I’ve actually found my perfect skincare routine, which I would love to share with all my dry-skinned girls! Totally affordable, and minimalistic. I’m only using 4 products at nighttime, and you’re looking at 2 of them.
I’ll be posting more on Youtube, by the way! Now that it’s Spring, its appropriate to post a new lookbook, right right?
Put together a short lookbook using pieces you probably already own! Basics never go out of style.
It was so fun diving into the realm of video. With practice I’ll get so much better at editing, but you have to start somewhere. Enjoy, and subscribe!
Something you’re interested in watching from me? Anything in the realm of makeup and fashion, I’d love to know.
BAKER BOY HAT / H&M
CROP / PRETTYLITTLETHING (HERE)
How is everyone? As always, I’m sorry that I’ve been away. I missed blogging so much! I’ve told you all recently that I have been working on creating better content this year, but it’s much easier said than done. I’ve been really busy and haven’t found time to shoot. I work a lot, and the only day I have off I’m doing self-care and watching anime. But anyways, I’ve been seeing snake print so much on my instagram feed! First of all I want to start by saying I’ve been wearing COLORS for a few weeks now, and it’s been extremely liberating (for those that do not know, I have always been a lover of all black pieces). So naturally my next step was to try some sort of print, and I ended up with this pair of flares. I won’t lie to you, my first impression of the pants was that the material was odd. I mean, for the most part they fit amazing and accentuate your thighs and butt. I’m wearing the smallest size available, and Misspap offers free US shipping which I LOVED. Next, my top. It is literally one of the best purchases I made in 2018. I also have it in black, and it has a very unique cut to it. A cool-but-essential wardrobe staple in my opinion.
I’d like to talk about the actual photos now. My best friend of over 10 years, Robert, took these with my iPhone. It was very impulsive, but somehow everything just came together so nicely. He’s a ride-or-die so I figured he’d be up for it (he has zero experience taking photos). When I looked through the library of pictures he took, I was SHOOK. It’s safe to say that he is my photographer now, and a very funny one at that.
Here’s a track I was listening to while typing this post:
DRESS / MISSGUIDED (OLD)
HEELS / EGO (HERE)
HAT / H&M (SOLD OUT)
NECKLACES / TNDNCIES (HERE)
I missed expressing myself so much. I get mental blocks sometimes but it’s funny how the outcomes of my own life give me the creativity I felt I was lacking. I’m a very emotional individual, but my own emotions helped me create this project alongside a dear friend of mine (@organic.honey_). It really blew my mind that she listened to me, understood the mood and concept I wanted, and truly put it together in front of my eyes. In order to understand this project, I recommend you listen to the song that inspired it in the first place. You cannot understand my emotions or train of thought, but this song conveys them perfectly. EVERGLADE is my interpretation of the repercussions of love. I know that to most people this seemed like a well put together outfit shoot, but “point-and-shoot” content has become progressively boring. Also big thanks to (@shhbbyisokay) for jumping in and taking additional shots.
Hoping to continue to create better content for my platforms! Happy Friday
Let me know what you’d want to watch if I started a Youtube channel. Still contemplating it, but it would allow me to expand DBD! Leave a comment if what you’re interested in is not on the poll already.