After messing with Korean skincare all of 2018, I switched everything out for the recently popularized brand The Ordinary. Although a very successful brand, it’s popularity skyrocketed this year thanks to TikTok. I’m so glad people have decided to give The Ordinary a shot, because they will never reach for anything else again.
I’ve picked a couple of The Ordinary products throughout the years according to one of my favorite Korean Beauty Guru’s, Dasha Kim. My skin is extremely dry, and it scars easily. Even the smallest of pimple will leave a dark spot on my face. After deciding to not wear foundation in 2019, I really stepped it up and worked on the perfect routine to get naturally beautiful and radiant skin. This meant working on deeply hydrating my face, and brightening it to give it that “glow”.
This is a routine for: dry and sensitive skin with a focus on: dark spots and brightening.
NOTE: Reminder to always wear sunscreen during the day when incorporating acids into your skincare. Do NOT layer acids. Pick one to apply that day only.
- After I wash my face with La Roche-Posay Toleriane Hydrating Gentle Cleanser, I reach for a hydrating essence so I can create a plump base for the rest of my serums and emollients. This is my absolute favorite from E Nature.
2. YOU NEED THIS. Dry skin? Stop whatever the f*ck you’re doing and order this. Hyaluronic Acid is heaven sent, and as stated by Healthline, “roughly half of the hyaluronic acid in your body is present in your skin, where it binds to water to help retain moisture”. I do a decent sized drop on each cheek, my forehead and chin. I’ve seen many people openly state that it works best when you slowly rub it in and tap all of your face with your palms in order to promote blood circulation. You’ll know you did it correctly if your skin feels bouncy and tacky.
3. Next I apply a small dot of Azelaic Acid to my cheeks, massaging it onto my forehead and chin, after my water-based products (nighttime use only and wear sunscreen in the morning). This product brightens the skin, reduces the look of blemishes, and promotes an even tone and texture. It also fades hyperpigmentation and reduces the redness associated with rosacea! According to your skins sensitivity I would recommend using it every other day.
4. Lastly I top everything off with my FAVORITE moisturizer. I’ve tried a couple, but I always have the same problem: my forehead ends up getting oily. This is such a lightweight moisturizer, and it’s oil free. I even apply this in the morning before my sunscreen.
- Since I do still wear concealer, it i important to keep my under eyes hydrated. I read that this Caffeine solution helps with darkness, so I’ll mix a little bit of this with Organic Rose Hip oil and tap a layer under my eyes and all around the outer corners. It might feel a little heavier than a typical under eye cream, but you’ll definitely notice the difference in fine lines and suppleness.
- The Ordinary Retinol 0.5% in Squalane: Amazing! It is recommended that women begin retinol in their 30’s but you can enjoy the benefits of it way before. It is not in my everyday skin routine because I am still easing my way into it. I apply this product every 2 days after my essence. I wait about half an hour before applying Hyaluronic Acid and the CeraVe Moisturizer so it can really seep into the skin.
- Alpha Arbutin: Reduces the look of dark spots and uneven tone. I apply this when I don’t reach for the Azelaic Acid. They are interchangeable for me. Just depends if I want a lotion type or serum type application. This was my first brightening product, and I bought it because of Dasha Kim’s beautiful skin.